A Day in The Life

515 am: Everett is crying…again. This is not a typical night and lately he has usually been sleeping until around 6. Feed him and put him back down and cross my fingers for some more sleep

730 am: It worked, and Everett is actually still sleeping. Julian is talking in his bed, though, so it’s time to wake up for real.

745 am: Warm up some pancakes for Julian. Everett wakes up while Julian is eating, so I go feed him then bring him out to the kitchen too. Decide that I really want eggs benedict for breakfast but feel too ridiculous making hollandaise sauce for one.img_0951

825 am: Wrangle Julian into his clothes. Almost everything is a battle with him lately, especially changing clothes for some reason. Do as Daniel Tiger’s mom does and take a deep breath and count to four.

850 am: Lug the sink we are selling on craigslist from the back patio to the front door. Continue debating what to eat for breakfast and finally decide to poach an egg and eat it on a toasted English muffin spread with boursin cheese. It’s my first time poaching an egg so I am very pleased when it turns out.

900 am: The guy from craigslist shows up right on time and buys the sink. I tell Julian that it’s time to get in the car since lately he likes to argue with me about getting in the car for at least ten minutes before actually doing it.

910 am: Everett is clean and dressed. I go buckle him in the car while Julian finally decides he wants his red shoes after all (he has been trying to find the black ones for the past ten minutes.) Frantically shove food and diapers and library books in my purse and hope for the best.

928 am: Somehow we still haven’t left the house–I have no idea how getting in the car can take a full 30 minutes sometimes but I am here to attest that it does.

935 am: Luckily we live really close to the library, so we’re just a few minutes late for story time. Julian pretends not to like it for the first couple minutes but then warms up and walks right up to the front and starts having a conversation with the librarian.

950 am: Stop in the library bathroom to change Julian’s diaper, then let him check out a book just so he can put it in the return slot.

1015 am: Arrive at the church for our weekly playgroup to let the kids run around the gym and talk with other moms. There are a ton of people there today so it feels like a party. Towards the end, the kids start blasting the Moana soundtrack and dancing around. Julian leaves with sweaty hair and pink cheeks.

img_10921145 am: Back in the car, and Everett is not happy about missing his morning nap. We hurry home so I can feed and put him down.

1230 pm: I make Julian some mac and cheese for lunch and cut up an apple. We snack while I read him the Lego book he picked out at the library. It’s a book full of ideas of things to build with Legos and he asks me to name every mini figure on every page- which luckily I somewhat enjoy since the book is 190 pages long.

130 pm: It’s a pretty nice day, so Julian goes and plays in our screened in porch while I clean up the kitchen.

200 pm: Julian pretty much entirely gave up napping when we took his Paci away a couple weeks ago, but we both still need a little break in the middle of the day (whether he knows it or not.) He is melting down at really tiny things now, so I bring him into his room for quiet time. He screams for about five minutes, then switches to singing.

210 pm: I have been wearing workout clothes, hoping that somehow I would squeeze in a workout, but it’s time to call it now and hop in the shower.

215 pm: Either the scream-singing or just enough rest wakes Everett up. My blissful fifteen childless minutes is over. I change him, snuggle him, then set him up in his high chair with some blueberries and pancakes to feed himself while I eat some leftover massaman curry from the night before. I change the laundry and add some clean clothes to the Everest on the couch.

245 pm:  Everett plays with some toys on the living room floor while I listen to my audiobook and start folding some laundry/check Instagram. I grab my laptop and start doing a little work on my sunday-school lesson, then call the company that is installing a fireplace in our house and try to find a babysitter. Somewhere in there Everett gets fussy again, so I put him down for another nap

330 pm: “Quiet” time is over. Julian has a drinkable yogurt for a snack and helps me unload the dishwasher. He is very interested in doing dishes lately and I am taking full advantage because I know it won’t last forever.

410 pm: Everett wakes up again and we hang out in Julian’s room. He usually dumps all the bins of toys during his quiet time so I try really hard to stay patient and get him to help me clean up.  I lay on the floor and Julian starts body slamming me, which makes Everett crack up and try to join in by leaning his head on me.

500 pm: Ted gets home! Pretty early too, but he has his big yearly test tomorrow, so after saying hi he goes to his office right away to start studying.

515 pm: I get coats on the boys and we head to the park around the corner from our house. It makes me endlessly happy to have a park so close, and it’s a good one too. It’s pretty warm for February, but windier than I expected, so the park is pretty much deserted. Another mom with two boys stops at our park on their way home from swimming lessons and Julian plays with them for a while.

630 pm: Minor meltdown from Julian on the walk home, pretty much the norm these days. Only bright side is I’m getting better at shrugging them off.  We’re having taco salad for dinner tonight and I start prepping. I fry up some corn tortillas, sautée tofu and some rotisserie chicken with taco spices, shred lettuce and cheese, and make mango guacamole.

720 pm: Dinner is almost ready, but Everett is kind of freaking out so I call Ted in for back up. He tries to feed Everett but he is pretty inconsolable, so Ted decides to put him to bed.

730 pm: Taco salad for Ted and I, shredded chicken and guacamole for Julian. We eat and Julian tells Ted all about the park.

750 pm: Ted goes to our room to study and Julian helps me clean up dinner.

820 pm: Dishes all pretty much done (because I know if I don’t do them now, Ted will do them and I will feel guilty about him not getting to study) and I have to hurry to get Julian down to bed which he really doesn’t appreciate. He cries while I wrestle him into pajamas, and screams when I finish up brushing his teeth, but lets me hug and kiss him and settles down pretty much right away after I leave the room.

835 pm: Second month of a new book club, discussing Blackmoore by Julianne Donaldson. It’s a fun book club because we are a wide variety of readers with vastly different tastes and nobody gets too offended when someone has a different opinion of the book than they do. The first month we read Five Days At Memorial, a nonfiction account of a hospital during hurricane Katrina, and basically the opposite of the cheesy “proper romance” we read this month.

1245 am: Definitely didn’t mean to stay out so late, but it was too hard to stop talking and eating scones and drinking tea. Fall into bed and go to sleep.





Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s