Starting off the New Year With a Bang


photo (31)

We slept in nice and late on New Year’s Day and I woke up feeling a little bit lazy and itching to get out of the house. So I bundled up and went out for a run through the park by our house. And just to clear up any misconceptions, when I say “going for a run,” it means jogging really slowly when the ground is flat or until I can’t breathe and then walking up all the hills. But I was feeling pretty good until I passed this sort of creepy looking guy in the park and after I had gotten past him a little ways, I glanced behind me to make sure he wasn’t following me. When I turned back around, my foot had caught on some loose pavement and the ground had disappeared from under my feet. Perils of a paranoiac.

Ted came to pick me up, although I still don’t know how he was able to decipher what I was sobbing to him on the phone. The blood all over my face freaked him out pretty bad, but luckily it was just coming from my lip, no broken nose or knocked out teeth or anything. He brought me home and called the midwife while I hopped in the shower and she told us to come in to the hospital right away. We headed over, thinking they would probably just do a quick ultrasound to make sure everything was ok, so we were less than excited when the receptionist asked for my admission paperwork and then a nurse escorted us back to my room for the next 24 hours.

They got me hooked up to a machine that monitored baby’s heartbeat and any contractions I was having. I was really surprised when they told me I was having contractions every three minutes because I couldn’t feel anything. The nurse started an IV on me to take blood samples and give me some fluids to see if that would slow down the contractions. My midwife got there and told me that they weren’t as worried about the baby, because he is pretty cushioned in there. She mostly wanted to make sure that the fall hadn’t done anything to my placenta. Then things got pretty boring. I was pretty much chained to the bed, so we hung out in the room trying to pass the time. There were some awesome nurses and some mean nurses. The contractions kept on coming. I forgot to request a vegetarian meal, so Ted ate the gross hospital tray for me.  Finally Ted went home for the night and I tried to fall asleep. The next morning we had an ultrasound and things looked fine, so we got a preview of the after-birth-breakfast spread and got checked one more time by the midwife, who said that I should be ok to go, but we probably shouldn’t go on our babymoon trip to Canada that night. Tune in next time to find out if we followed her medical advice…


4 thoughts on “Starting off the New Year With a Bang

  1. I love how we talked on the phone for like 20 minutes before you brought up the subject of this event. And I’m really relieved that you’re ok! I loved our icy hike too! You’re so hard core!

  2. We are thankful that both of you are ok, we have been praying for an easy and gentle delivery, w/love , Gma & Gpa Scoggin.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s